Eyewitnesses were not sure what triggered the fire but agreed the fire was noticed after a power outage in the area. Although the smoke enveloped the upper chamber of the one storey structure, the down floor was spared the attack.
On reaching the scene, witnesses said though they informed the firemen about the outbreak minutes after it started, it took the fire personnel over an hour to get to the scene with some insinuating that the fire personnel looked aged and were slow in climbing the stairs to contain the fire.
Although the cost of destruction was yet to be ascertained as at the time this writer left the scene, the owner of the business was pensive; indicating that “the fire crew took too long in responding to the distress calls and seemed lost as to what action to take in combating the fire effectively.”
Young guys in the neighborhood have to be commended for their bravery in combating the fire in the early stages with with buckets of water. Such bravado, however, landed one Kofi Kwakyi in an ambulance whereupon he was treated for inhaling excessive amounts of carbon monoxide (smoke) according to the health attendant whiles another was treated for cuts he sustained on his arm.
As at the time of leaving the scene, a sizeable number of locals had congregated to witness what the commotion was all about whiles traffic had started building up due to the fire tenders and police vehicles at the scene.
See photos below: